Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Am I smarter than a 2nd grader?

Although I passed the are you smarter than a 3rd grader test my SIL emailed me a couple of weeks back, I am not sure I am qualified for 2nd grade math (or reading for that matter). 

Today I watched my niece and nephew after school. My niece and the Drama Queen each sat down to the their homework.  After checking my niece's math homework (& yes I considered using a calculator), I was trying to explain how to solve the problem. It was something like 51 - 28, and I was shocked to discover that they no longer do math how we were taught.  She looked at me like I was insane when I tried to about carrying things over and crossing out a number.  She taught me their terminology nowadays to which I probably looked shocked. I even had to call my SIL to teach me so I could teach her.

I have to admit, I am a little nervous for when the Drama Queen gets to 2nd grade.  I told the hubby at dinner that I might need a tutor so I could teach our kids. He laughed at me.  But he didn't realize that  I was only half joking....

No comments:

Post a Comment