Monday, August 2, 2010

You can never anticipate your kids reactions

Last Saturday our friends invited us out on the lake in their boat for the day. The hubby said sure as long as we could find a babysitter for the little dude.  That was essential in being able to enjoy the day.  It started out great.  We beached the boat and got to swim and grill out our lunch.

Then we went tubing. I haven't been tubing in 15 years. Don't judge me or my age! I was nervous. Very nervous.  In my younger days I was a daredevil. I've been bungey jumping and I love rollercoasters.  But lately, since the kids, I have become a little scared.  So I was a little scared when the drama queen said she would only go tubing with me. Not with daddy.  So up first from our family was dad and the little guy.  Little guy was so excited to go.  But then they hit some bumps, and more bumps, and his adventure was over.  He wanted to quit.



 My hubby went next.  I could see the joy on his face. But then he fell out of the tube (which I think he secretly enjoyed).

After that my friend took her daughter for a turn.  And then it was the drama queens turn.  She actually wanted to go with my friend instead of me.  My stomach stopped churning for the first time since the tube was blown up.




After that the other kids took turns.  And that is when my drama queen who is also normally scared of everything announced that she wanted to go again.  Again but with mommy this time! Since I had no time to anticipate or worry, my nerves were okay. I was worried about losing a contact or flipping over.  I was assured my contacts would be fine and off we went. It was great. Exhilarating even. There was a point when it was really bumpy where I asked the drama queen to do the cut sign because I was too afraid to let go.  But she wouldn't. Ugh! So we went for a little while longer. When all was said and done I was happy that I did it. The kids worked up quite an appetite. Looking at them snacking on our way to the cove to get an adult beverage.




At the cove we had drinks while the kids ate ice cream. Then we all jumped into the lake to swim some more. It was really hot out if you weren't in the water.  We thought it looked like rain and we were meeting people for dinner at the marina restaurant so we decided to head back. The restaurant at the marina has this huge sandbox for the kids to play in. We have been there for lunch about 5 times and love it there.  This was our first attempt at dinner there with the kids. It was great. There was live music, so they danced and played in the sand. We were able to have adult conversation and enjoy our meal and drinks. And by drinks I mean one of the best strawberry margaritas ever!  It was such a great day.  But I learned a new lesson. I would have thought before tubing that the drama queen was going to hate it and the little man love it. But the opposite happened. You can never anticipate your kids reactions. I don't even know why I try!






1 comment:

  1. It was a great day!! Thanks for coming. And that is an awful picture of me!

    ReplyDelete